Fleadh Cheoil connection

I just wondered if you'd like to know that Jim McPhillips' daughter (that's me) will be singing in the Fleadh Cheoil in three weeks' time. I'm competing in the Ladies' Ballads - in English, and also in Irish - and these always take place on the Sunday afternoon. So that will be on the 19th August this time. I was a regular in the 'Bridge every summer when I was growing up and still keep in touch with a few good friends there. In 1979 I sang in the Cavan Song Contest with "Butlersbridge, My Home" - words by Paddy Connors, Jim's cousin, and music composed by myself. Jim is no longer with us, sadly, but I remember that he had a lovely singing voice - as did his brother Seán. Their other two brothers, Paddy and Eddie, played accordion, so it was a very musical family. Which is where I obviously get my voice from! Anyway, if there are any Butlersbridgians who remember Jim McPhillips - or even me! - it would be really lovely to see them on the day. I'm sure I'd sing better with a supporter or two!

Comments